In the state of New Jersey the Fire Alarm, Burglar Alarm and Locksmith Advisory Committee maintains and governs the licensing for locksmiths.
Specifically, the Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors will review and approve the license.
The Application Process
You can find a link to download the application here: https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/fbl/Applications/Application-for-a-Locksmith-License.pdf
In addition to the application, there are also the following requirements to be a licensed locksmith in New Jersey.
- Be at least 18 years of age (electrical locksmiths may be required to be 21, check with your county clerk)
- Be of good moral character (not convicted of a felony within last 10 years)
The Division of Consumer Affairs is required to conduct criminal history background checks. Use the link above to download the correct form, fill it out, and return it to:
Fire Alarm, Burglar Alarm, and Locksmith Advisory Committee
PO Box 45042
Newark, New Jersey 07101
After reviewing the application the Board will then contact you to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints electronically recorded. This must be done by Sagem Morpho, Inc. The fee for this service is $78 and will be payable at the time of scheduling your appointment (not with your fingerprint application).
After You Receive the License
The following will apply once you’ve been approved by the state of New Jersey.
- The state-issued identification card must be displayed at all times
- License is only valid for 3 years (make sure you renew or there may be a penalty)
- Maintain a surety bond of at least $10,000 (read more here about surety bonds)
- If you hire any employees you must notify the Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors within 30 days
For additional information and updates, you can check the New Jersey Legislature website.